March 27, 2006

Clarity

I'm not usually given to mental clarity, so when I was lying in bed last night and a stream of totally unrestrained and clear thought began pouring through my head, I didn't know what to think. I immiediately understood how I should proceed with two of my projects and since I woke up 2 1/2 hours ago, I've made more progress than in the previous month.

This all makes me wonder... why do I have periodic moments of mental clarity and unadulterated thought instead of permanent free-flowing mental cohesion? I love the moments of clarity. The rush is unimaginable and it gives life a sense of purpose. These other times, when the river is cloudy and muddled, it just feels like life is being lived through the motions and lacks a clear sense of reason and purpose.

That aside, I saw Time's cover story... didn't really bother to read it, but if it is what I think it is... what I've thought for the last decade has been wonderfully confirmed. Global warming is that little fire in the wilderness that someone forgot to put out and is now the out-of-control raging inferno of hell which threatens to, at the very least, singe us. At the worst... well, we're fucked.

Since the dawn of the industrial revolution, industrialists have recklessly hacked and burned away at the Earth and now we and our children and theirs will be priveleged to reap the consequences of their folly.

I laughed in the shower this morning when I thought about all the pollyannas in politics who laughed at the notion of global warming and environmental degradation and pocketed bribes and gifts from the biggest polluters. Republicans are guilty of fucking us in this country, but the Democrats dropped the ball, as well. There was so much activity going on to save the planet in the 1960s and 1970s, but Americans stopped caring. Political activism ended with the dumbing down of our culture when Ronald Reagan and his neoconservative hacks took power.

The dumbing-down hasn't stopped. As a society, it would appear that Americans are more concentrated on wealth and its acquisition at any means, hedonism at its worst, and pay only lip service to any possibility that this unabashed goldrush may actually be detrimental to someone (or everyone) else.

We have so much to do.

And so little time.

http://www.greenpeace.org

They're not a terrorist organization. Don't let the bastards convince you otherwise.

No comments: