November 30, 2006

No, I'm not dead.

I've just taken a brief hiatus from blogging. I will be back to the usual semi-regular posting in a couple days time once time avails itself. A couple months back I mentioned doing a couple posts on the nature of lying versus the truth. That will be coming shortly. I have decided to include potential political implications that come along with following lying and telling the truth.

Does anyone think it's odd that there's a common verb for not telling the truth (to lie/lying) but not one for telling the truth? I don't even know if there is a rare or archaic verb that is used "to tell the truth."

Anyhow, more later.

-rl

1 comment:

Holly said...

seems to me that the reason there is no verb for "to tell the truth" is the same reason there was no word for religious "belief" in ancient hebrew - there just isn't a need for it. telling the truth is just the absence of lying. it's what is, so there isn't a need to qualify it with a verb. as with the hebrew example i gave - no one *didn't* believe. you were either jew or gentile. there was no such thing as a non-believing jew, so there wasn't a word for to believe. it's possible