February 15, 2008

Avec des yeux ouverts...

President Nicolas Sarkozy of France is facing an uproar following his proposal to have children "adopt" child victims of the Holocaust. I don't generally see eye-to-eye with Sarkozy and his policies, but I think this one is a good one.

Normally, I'm all about secular policies, being of French background and all, a son of the Revolutions of 1789 and America. I think this is a secular policy, too. Nothing seems to suggest to me that Sarkozy is trying to imbue children with a Jewish learning or force children to be Jewish. Moreover, not all of the Holocaust's children victims were Jews. The left-wing in France is grasping at straws to make a run at a weak President and that they resort to a tactic so base and ignorant of history flies in the face of the ideas which French of the past championed.

What a shame.

-rl

No comments: